|Dinner Scramble||Dinner #5|
|Description:||Students hop in and out of a giant circle according to the healthy foods they hear.|
|Objective:||Students will recognize a variety of healthy foods they can eat for dinner.|
|Materials:||Small bell, whistle, or dinner-related noisemaker (e.g. salad tongs banging on a salad bowl)|
- Gather the students into a circle.
- Remind them it is important to eat different kinds of healthy foods for dinner, a variety of foods, because each one does something very different and very special for our bodies.
- Explain that they are going to play "Scramble" again, but this time with dinner foods.
- Tell them you will call out healthy dinner foods (see below). For example, you can say: "If you like to eat pasta for dinner, change spots when the ‘dinner bell’ rings."
- Everyone who likes pasta should hop to a new empty spot in the circle. (You can either mimic the sound of a bell or use an actual bell, whistle or noisemaker.)
- If only one student likes the food, she or he should hop to the center of the circle and back to her or his original spot.
- Continue playing while naming various healthy dinner foods from each food grouping. You can also vary the movements (skip, jump, slide, etc.) the students use to move around the circle.
- If time permits, ask each student to name one new, healthy dinner food she or he will try.
Healthy ("Go") Dinner and Dessert Foods and Drinks:
|fish||pasta with tomato sauce|
|veggie pizza||rice and beans|
|tuna||low-fat or skim milk|
Further information about the National Standards can be found here